Monday, May 07, 2007

Brief Look: Colin Channer

Me bredrin t'ought he'd sneak dis by me one, eh? Bard of Jamaica, national bestseller Colin Channer gifts us his new novella, The Girl with the Golden Shoes, published by Akashic; Akashic now seems to be the indie publisher unconcerned with the dross, the silly, the pandering, having also published Bronx Biannual.

Colin is one of best writers in the Americas, and his Calabash Literary Festival on our Island in de sun draws international acclaim and coverage.
Good things come in small packages, and The Girl with the Golden Shoes is a bite-sized treat. It is sweet and bittersweet: World War Two in the Carribean is the setting. Channelling Faulker and Edward P. Jones, Channer reprises his imaginary island, "San Carlos," and on it we see Estrella Thompson, a 14-year-old who's exiled from the isolated fishing village where she's lived all her life...
Check Colin out at the University of Maryland this Thursday May 10 at Vertigo Books in College Park.
Coming soon: Clarence Thomas...

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm looking for a novella for my quiet rides on the "T." Thank you for the recommendation. I didn't see it on his site but found it on the publisher's.

Anonymous said...

He's been oneof my favorite authors and I wish he'd devote himself to poetry over prose...

Dera Williams said...

I will defintely be reading this. I have read everything of Channer's. I have always said he was underrted. Passing Through, from which TGWTGS originated should have been a cross over. Excellent

Anonymous said...

Did you ever show up at vertigo!